Andrew McCabe, the second in command at the FBI, has left America’s premier law enforcement agency. Conflicting reports say that he was either forced out of the FBI or resigned on his own.
NEW: FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe has stepped down, CBS News' Pat Milton reports; source says McCabe was "forced to step down" pic.twitter.com/fedIkGzF0h
— CBS News (@CBSNews) January 29, 2018
The timing of his departure should raise major red flags for several reasons.
McCabe’s exit came just one day after FBI Director Christopher Wray reviewed a classified intelligence memo that reportedly details major surveillance abuses committed by the Obama administration. Notably, the memo reportedly implicates McCabe as one of the key enablers of the Obama White House’s FISA abuses.
Just hours after Wray reviewed the memo – and hours before McCabe’s departure was announced – its details leaked into mainstream media outlets such as the New York Times.
Interestingly, the New York Times is downplaying the timing of McCabe’s resignation, claiming his exit was “widely expected.” While this is true, the “paper of record” completely ignores the fact that he is out the door just one day after Wray reportedly read the memo.
— Peter Baker (@peterbakernyt) January 29, 2018
McCabe has long been accused of being a partisan leaker. Judicial Watch reports exposed his severe conflicts of interests. The watchdog group also found that McCabe was using his status at the FBI to advance his wife’s political candidacy.
McCabe is the Deputy Director of the FBI whose wife received $700,000 from Clinton allies & who recused himself from the Clinton investigation one week prior to the 2016 election — & just last week FBI told JW they were withholding McCabe's text messages. https://t.co/sCyYonYBNs https://t.co/yIMPvhGMPJ
— Judicial Watch 🔎 (@JudicialWatch) January 29, 2018
McCabe is reportedly set up to take over a month in vacation time and officially retire at some point in March, so that he receive a full pension.