The House Intelligence Committee has released its memorandum summarizing Obama administration surveillance abuses against Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.
The key takeaway is that the dossier put together by ex-spy Christopher Steele was “essential” to obtaining a FISA court warrant to surveil the Trump campaign. Without the Steele dossier, the FISA warrant to spy on Trump’s campaign would not have been granted.
This story is blowing up. Cutting through the noise, here’s what’s important:
- The Hillary Clinton campaign for the presidency and the Democratic National Committee paid over $160,000 for a dossier put together by ex-spy Christopher Steele that has never been verified. According to the memo, Steele “was desperate that Donald Trump not get elected and was passionate about him not being president.”
- The Obama administration’s FBI used the unverified information in the dossier to obtain a FISA court warrant to surveil Carter Page, a member of the Donald Trump campaign for the presidency. The FBI did not tell the FISA court judge the information in the dossier was paid for by the Clinton campaign.
- Carter Page was spied on by the Obama administration, and “incidental” surveillance was collected on other members of the Trump campaign.
- Members of the Obama administration “unmasked” U.S. persons involved with the Trump campaign, those who were surveilled based on the unverified, Clinton-funded information presented to the FISA court by Obama’s FBI. Information about these individuals was later leaked to the media in an attempt to build a case that Donald Trump colluded with the Russians to defeat Hillary Clinton in 2016.
- There is no evidence that Trump colluded with the Russians. There is ample evidence that the Obama administration illegitimately spied on Trump’s campaign.
What this information means is that the FBI and our federal intelligence-gathering agencies were politicized under the Obama administration to oppose Donald Trump’s election and later undermine his presidency.
Author: Chris Pandolfo
Chris Pandolfo is a staff writer and type-shouter for Conservative Review. He holds a B.A. in politics and economics from Hillsdale College. His interests are conservative political philosophy, the American founding, and progressive rock. Follow him on Twitter for doom-saying and great album recommendations @ChrisCPandolfo.