The best way for President Trump to shut down the impending frivolous investigations from House Democrats is to strike while the iron is hot and focus on the real emergency at our border. Even with the vindication of his election now sealed as the Mueller investigation came up empty, Democrats will not back down on their investigations. Trump’s best defense against the onslaught of frivolous investigations is a policy offense. If Democrats want to investigate administration actions, at least we should force them to focus on issues of policy for the good of the country.
There is no way to sugarcoat this. The debt is higher than ever, health care is worse than ever, and our illegal immigration crisis is fundamentally transforming this nation more than at any time during the Obama administration. There is a lot of blame to go around, from congressional Republicans and some bad presidential staff choices to Trump’s reluctance to use his veto pen and the refusal of anyone in politics to stand up to judicial supremacy. Congress has done nothing good over the first two years of this administration. The courts have nullified almost everything Trump tried executively, and there is not much positive policy direction among the shallow state players in the White House.
Then there was the Mueller probe. Not only did it allow the Democrats to keep delegitimizing the foundation of Trump’s mandate for two years, it distracted conservatives almost every day and at every legislative, budget, and policy decision point when Republicans controlled the trifecta of government and were betraying us. For every act of GOP perfidy on the budget and immigration, there was a Mueller story to drown it out.
That is now over.
There is one issue that has spiraled out of control with endless negative consequences to our nation daily, and that is our comprehensive border and immigration crisis. Talk about foreign interference! We now have foreign entities and governments fomenting endless migrant caravans, weaponizing the migration of desperate and impoverished individuals to weaken our foundation as an independent, sovereign, and secure nation. Lawless courts are mandating citizenship for these people and that they be counted in the Census, where they will permanently distort out elections and yes, even vote in them. That is the true foreign collusion and challenge to our sovereignty as a nation.
The situation is so out of control that, according to the Texas Monthly, Border Patrol agents have been forced to abandon checkpoints designed to counter dangerous cartel smuggling so they can process the invasion of Central American migrants!
President Trump should use his newfound political capital and announce the following policies of his border emergency declaration:
2) A full military buildup right at the line of our border to prevent anyone from obtaining illegal entry. The president’s authority is at its highest when he is exercising his power as commander in chief over the armed forces, and nowhere is their use more appropriate than defending our own border.
3) Deploying our military tactically will open up so many more resources for the construction of roads, operating bases, and any barriers that are needed in support of those troops.
4) While the military will help counter the cartels and drug trafficking and hold the line against national security dangers, Trump needs to shut off the flow of migrants from Central America. As I’ve explained, the president can assert Article II and delegated authority to say that we are closed for business and will not allow in anyone for processing. It’s time for a complete shutoff of immigration requests at our border and, if need be, some intermittent shutdowns even of our points of entry to all traffic.
5) For those already here and those who still manage to make it to our soil, the president should implement the official DHS emergency mass migration plan, construct tent cities, and put as many immigration judges (and deputized immigration adjudicators) are are needed in those cities to hear and then reject these bogus asylum claims within a few days before deporting the claimants. This will end the catch-and-release.
6) The president needs to assert, as an independent branch of government, that universal injunctions issued by courts are unconstitutional, as suggested by Justice Clarence Thomas. This will force the Supreme Court to more expeditiously deal with the underlying problem of lower courts issuing endless and instant universal injunctions that are essentially shutting us down as a sovereign nation. The courts, by design, have no enforcement mechanism. The U.S. Marshals are under the president’s direction through his attorney general.
7) And speaking of the Marshals, Trump should recruit as many law enforcement agents into the immigration enforcement business as possible to buttress the work of both Border Patrol and ICE. The president has the power (8 U.S.C. § 1103(a)(10)) to deputize local law enforcement to “to perform or exercise any of the powers, privileges, or duties” of immigration enforcement in the event that the attorney general determines that there is “an actual or imminent mass influx of aliens.” He can also deputize all park rangers and Bureau of Land Management agents (or any federal officer who wears a badge) into securing the border and enforcing immigration laws.
8) Concurrently, the president should demand that McConnell’s do-nothing Senate force votes on sanctuary cities, criminal aliens, border loopholes, and everything else endangering our sovereignty. Democrats need to feel the heat.
9) Clearly, it’s time for new leadership at the Department of Homeland Security. The president should nominate someone who understands sovereignty and is willing to fight for it on every front. He’ll never have more political capital for such a move than now.
10) Finally, just in case Democrats want to continue focusing on Russia, Trump should announce, concurrent with his “sovereignty surge,” a new “Monroe Doctrine” in the Western Hemisphere to combat Russian and Chinese subversion in Latin America that is destabilizing the region and is behind some of the more organized challenges to our border.
All of this will give Democrats something to chew on! And it won’t be a Russian investigation. It’s time for us to control our own destiny and direct the battle lines to where we want them.
Most of all, conservative politicos must remember that while they won an important political skirmish, we continue to lose our country on almost every policy front that matters. Nothing will change if we continue to believe we can’t have a sovereign country without 60 votes in the Senate and the support of 91 district courts, even if Trump wins re-election and Republicans regain control of the House in 2020. The time has come to unite behind truly fulfilling the mandate of the 2016 election, using all of the lawful tools of the Article II branch of government and demonstrating to the American people why 2020 is worth fighting for.
Daniel Horowitz is a senior editor of Conservative Review. Follow him on Twitter @RMConservative.