'Unacceptable safety risk': Puberty blockers permanently banned in UK



The United Kingdom announced this week that it is pulling the pin on an experiment that may have had adverse effects on children's bone density, cognitive performance, emotional stability, and future fertility.

National Health Service England announced in March that minors would no longer be prescribed puberty blockers at so-called gender-identity clinics, stating, "We have concluded that there is not enough evidence to support the safety or clinical effectiveness of [puberty-suppressing hormones] to make the treatment routinely available at this time."

Months later, then-British Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Victoria Atkin used emergency powers "to ban puberty blockers for new treatments of gender dysphoria from private clinics and for all purposes from overseas prescribers into Great Britain." The ban on private sales goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2025.

On Wednesday, the British Department of Health and Social Care announced that existing emergency measures banning the sale and supply of puberty blockers "will be made indefinite, following official advice from medical experts," in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

"The Commission on Human Medicines (CHM) has provided independent expert advice that there is currently an unacceptable safety risk in the continued prescription of puberty blockers to children. It recommends indefinite restrictions while work is done to ensure the safety of children and young people," the department said in a release.

'Puberty blockers are powerful drugs with unproven benefits and significant risks.'

Blaze News previously reported that the drugs in question, luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone agonists, also known as GnRHa, have long been used to chemically castrate sex offenders.

According to the medical advocacy group Do No Harm's Stop the Harm database, between 2019 and 2023, at least 13,994 American minors underwent sex-change treatments and over 8,500 received hormones and puberty blockers. The Free Press noted in August that the leading provider of sex-change hormones for young adults in the United States is Planned Parenthood.

Puberty blockers, rebranded for kids with gender confusion, have been characterized as safe and effective by LGBT activists and pharmaceutical reps. This narrative did not, however, survive the release of the Cass Review earlier this year, at least on the other side of the Atlantic.

Dr. Hilary Cass, an acclaimed British medical doctor who previously served as president of the Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health, was commissioned by NHS England to investigate the U.K. sex-change regime and its youth-facing services. The penetrating investigation revealed that where so-called gender science is concerned, "there is not a reliable evidence base upon which to make clinical decisions, or for children and their families to make informed choices."

Extra to pointing out that so-called gender-science is largely based on research of "poor quality," demonstrating "poor study design, inadequate follow-up periods and a lack of objectivity in reporting of results," the Cass Review demolished the case for using puberty blockers, stressing the uses "are unproven and benefits/harms are unknown."

The review found not only that puberty blockers compromise bone density but have no apparent impact on so-called gender dysphoria.

Dr. Cass said of the indefinite ban, "I support the government's decision to continue restrictions on the dispensing of puberty blockers for gender dysphoria outside the NHS where these essential safeguards are not being provided."

"Puberty blockers are powerful drugs with unproven benefits and significant risks, and that is why I recommended that they should only be prescribed following a multi-disciplinary assessment and within a research protocol," added Dr. Cass.

'Children's healthcare must always be evidence-led.'

James Palmer, the NHS medical director for specialized services, stated, "Evidence reviews by NICE and NHS England, supported by Dr Cass, clearly showed there is not enough evidence to support the safety or clinical effectiveness of puberty suppressing hormones for the treatment of gender dysphoria or incongruence, which is why the NHS decided that they would no longer be routinely offered to children and young people."

Rather than loading confused kids up with transmogrifying drugs and removing body parts, the British health system is now focused on offering holistic support and working with patients on mental health.

Wes Streeting, the current health and social care secretary, stated, "Children's healthcare must always be evidence-led. The independent expert Commission on Human Medicines found that the current prescribing and care pathway for gender dysphoria and incongruence presents an unacceptable safety risk for children and young people."

"Dr. Cass' review also raised safety concerns around the lack of evidence for these medical treatments," continued Streeting. "We need to act with caution and care when it comes to this vulnerable group of young people, and follow the expert advice."

While Britain has grown wise to the potential risks of puberty blockers, the money and ideology-driven regime stateside has not similarly been dealt a national blow.

Dr. Cass blasted certain American medical associations in a May New York Times interview, suggesting that the American Academy of Pediatrics, for instance — which has repeatedly lashed out against Republican-led states for protecting children from child sex-change mutilations — has held "on to a position that is now demonstrated to be out of date by multiple systematic reviews."

Cass suggested it "wouldn't be too much of a problem if people were saying, 'This is clinical consensus and we're not sure.' But what some organizations are doing is doubling down on saying the evidence is good. I think that's where you're misleading the public."

Of the 28 states where Republicans control the legislature, 24 red states have successfully passed bans to protect children from puberty blockers, hormone therapies, or sex-change mutilations, reported the New York Times. Robert Hinkle, a Clinton-nominated federal judge, suggested that such Republicans had actually acted on "old-fashioned discriminatory animus."

The U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments last week about a puberty blocker ban in Tennessee. Should the high court uphold the ban when issuing its decision in United States v. Skrmetti sometime next year, similar bans will be reinforced across the country.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Detransitioner sues prominent child sex-change doctor who admitted to hiding results of her own study



Johanna Olson-Kennedy, the medical director of the nation's biggest youth sex-change center at Children's Hospital in Los Angeles and head of a $10 million National Institutes of Health initiative studying youth "gender medicine," recently suppressed the results of a years-long study following 95 children who were given puberty blockers.

Olson-Kennedy, no doubt aware of the damage that Britain's landmark Cass Review had already done to the sex-change regime's credibility, told the New York Times, "I do not want our work to be weaponized."

While she might ultimately prevail in concealing the results of the study, Olson-Kennedy cannot hide the fallout of so-called gender-affirming care in the wild, including the radical procedures she has personally executed.

Clementine Breen, a 20-year-old drama student at the University of California, Los Angeles, filed a medical negligence lawsuit Thursday against Olson-Kennedy, the CHLA, and others involved with her "gender-affirming" mutilation.

According to the complaint, Breen was a vulnerable, mentally compromised girl who had suffered multiple instances of sexual abuse and hailed from a family rife with mental health problems. Rather than subject her to psychotherapy and tests, she was allegedly "fast-tracked onto the conveyor belt of irreversibly damaging puberty blockers (age 12), cross-sex hormones (age 13), and 'gender-affirming' surgery (age 14.)"

The lawsuit claimed that Olson-Kennedy and her team — who allegedly separated Breen from her parents at the first opportunity — "immediately and unquestioningly 'affirmed' Clementine as transgender, and at her very first visit, after mere minutes, Dr. Olson-Kennedy diagnosed Clementine with gender dysphoria and recommended surgical implantation of puberty blockers."

'Even if she could conceive and deliver a child, she would not be able to breastfeed because her health breasts were removed when she was only 14.'

Olson-Kennedy — who has publicly argued against the need for psychological assessments for sex-change mutilations, compared teen girls cutting off their healthy breasts to taking the SATs, reportedly dished out sex-change hormones to kids as young as 12, and referred little girls as young as 13 for double mastectomies — allegedly did not bother with a mental health assessment, with asking Breen relevant questions about her mental health struggles or diagnoses, or with involving other health care professionals in her gender dysphoria diagnosis.

The complaint alleged further that Olson-Kennedy also failed to furnish Breen with the necessary time or information to obtain consent, which appears all but impossible anyway when dealing with prospective minor sex-change patients — a troubling reality even World Professional Association of Transgender Health scientists have apparently admitted in private communications.

Extra to blowing past the matter of informed consent and allegedly obtaining the parents' consent under fraudulent pretenses, the complaint claimed that Olson-Kennedy misrepresented Breen's "gender-identity history" in her letter of support to Breen's surgeon. Citing a full copy of the letter, the Economist reported that Olson-Kennedy wrote that Breen had "endorsed a male gender identity since childhood," which was not the case, according to Olson-Kennedy's own records.

Neither the surgeon nor Olson-Kennedy responded to the Economist's requests for comment.

After years of being pumped full of potentially sterilizing and bone-compromising drugs then having her healthy breasts removed by surgeons, Breen's mental health unsurprisingly declined.

"It took Dr. Olson-Kennedy and the team at LA Children's a single visit to send Clementine down a life-altering, traumatic, body-disfiguring, and irreversibly damaging path of transgender medicalization," said the complaint.

Although Breen has detransitioned and now identifies with her real sex, the complaint indicated that

as a result of Defendants' so-called "gender-affirming care," Clementine now has deep physical and emotional wounds, severe regrets, and distrust of the medical system. She has suffered physically, socially, neurologically, and psychologically. Her voice has permanently deepened. Her female body did not develop, and she has a very masculine body structure. Her fertility is almost certainly destroyed from the combination of years on puberty blockers and testosterone. And even if she could conceive and deliver a child, she would not be able to breastfeed because her health breasts were removed when she was only 14.

Breen told the Economist that her lawsuit was not just about "personal closure reasons" but making clear that rushed sex-changes on minors are not as rare as activists have suggested.

"People are just brushing exactly what happened to me off as something that doesn't happen," said Breen.

According to the medical advocacy group Do No Harm's Stop the Harm database, Children's Hospital, Los Angeles, has at least 265 sex-change patients; 165 surgery patients; and 103 hormone and puberty blocker patients. The organization reportedly claims that its youngest patients, as young as 3 years old, "receive no medical interventions, just counseling."

The lawsuits against elements of the sex-change regime continue to pile up.

Last year, Chloe Cole filed a suit against the Permanente Medical Group, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, which performed, supervised, and/or advised transgender hormone therapy and surgical intervention on her between the ages of 13 and 16.

The Dhillon Law Group and LiMandri & Jonna LLP similarly filed suit against Kaiser Foundation Hospitals and the Permanente Medical Group last year, alleging malice, oppression and fraud in the case of Layla Jane, a girl who underwent an elective double mastectomy at the age of 13 and hormone therapy.

Luka Hein filed a lawsuit last year against the University of Nebraska Medical Center and numerous UNMC medical practitioners alleging that their "misleading descriptions and false claims" pertaining to sex-change mutilations were in violation of the state's Consumer Protection Act.

Dr. Miriam Grossman, the board-certified child and adolescent psychiatrist who authored the 2023 book "Lost in Trans Nation: A Child Psychiatrist’s Guide Out of the Madness," told Blaze News earlier this year that lawsuits will help make practitioners "think twice before they pick up a scalpel and remove the healthy breasts of a 13-year-old girl."

"It could be the malpractice carriers will stop covering — if they have to pay out huge amounts, they may think twice about covering the malpractice of these surgeons," continued Grossman.

Dr. Roy Eappen, an esteemed endocrinologist and senior fellow at Do No Harm, similarly suggested that lawsuits can help "make it expensive for them to continue with this kind of procedure."

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Medical Organizations Urge End To Transgender Surgeries For Kids

A new declaration urges all U.S. medical personnel to stop experimentation and abuse of children under the guise of transgender treatment.

Trans Activists Quietly Build ‘Gender-Affirming’ Monopoly On Centers For Abused Children

Trojan horse 'accreditation' bills are stealthily pushing transgenderism in child abuse proceedings and foster care.