Fugees felon gets 14 years for illegal Obama donations



Platinum-selling artist Pras has been sentenced to prison following charges related to illegal foreign lobbying and conspiracy.

Prakazrel Samuel Michel, member of the huge 1990s group the Fugees, has been trapped in legal turmoil for years surrounding apparent attempts to influence presidential elections and administrations.

'There's a possibility that I'm going in while I'm fighting.'

The Fugees' 1996 album "The Score" went seven-times platinum in the United States, and even though the record hit No. 1 in seven countries, it was the group's last original release.

Michel was charged in 2019 and began his trial four years later in 2023. The three-week trial that included testimony from actor Leonardo DiCaprio was focused on multiple money-laundering schemes related to Malaysian financier Jho Low, a Billboard report revealed.

First, Michel was accused of secretly funneling $2 million from Low to Barack Obama's 2012 presidential campaign. The donations were allegedly made through straw donors. In 2023, Michel said he received $20 million from Low, but it was only to help him get a photo with Obama. These figures were part of a $120 million total Michel received from Low, WCBV reported.

Secondly, Michel was accused of funneling money from Low to a lobbying campaign that had the goal of convincing President Trump's administration to drop an investigation into Low in 2019.

RELATED: Why the post-Pelosi Democratic Party seems directionless

Pras Michel arrives at U.S. District Court on March 31, 2023, in Washington, D.C. Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Michel was recently ordered to forfeit over $64 million after he was found guilty for his attempts to influence the Trump administration.

'Next chapter'

A representative named Erica Dumas told Variety, "Throughout his career Pras has broken barriers. This is not the end of his story. He appreciates the outpouring of support as he approaches the next chapter."

Pras had previously told the outlet that he planned to appeal the outcome of the case, saying he was "going to fight" and "going to appeal."

"But there's a possibility that I'm going in while I'm fighting," he said. "It's just the reality."

RELATED: Grammy-Winning Singer Headed to Prison for Failing to Pay $1 Million Owed in Taxes

Wyclef Jean (L), Pras Michel (C), and Lauryn Hill (R) attend the 24th Annual American Music Awards at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California, January 1997. Photo by Vinnie Zuffante/Getty Images

Tumultuous trio

The other Fugees members went on to have careers worthy of feature film.

In 2010, Wyclef Jean attempted to run for president of Haiti after a hurricane ravaged the island. He was eventually dropped from the ballot, presumably because he did not meet the country's residency requirements. It was also revealed in the process that Jean had been claiming he was three years younger than he actually was, admitting he was 40 years old, not 37.

In 2013, Lauryn Hill spent three months in prison for failing to pay around $1 million in taxes. At the time, she compared her experience in the music industry to slavery.

"I am a child of former slaves who had a system imposed on them," she claimed. "I had an economic system imposed on me."

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Bitcoin billionaire will serve time after British police broke down her door and arrested her in bed



"You're under arrest. You're going to be arrested for money laundering."

These were some of the last words Zhimin Qian heard as a free woman before she was arrested for allegedly laundering billions of dollars in cryptocurrency.

'... compelling evidence of the criminal origins of the crypto assets ...'

Qian, 47, was dubbed the "Goddess of Wealth" due to a lavish lifestyle acquired through money laundering with her accomplice, Malaysian national Hok Seng Ling, also 47. Qian is Chinese.

Police investigated Qian and conducted a search of her Hampstead, London, mansion in October 2018 after she attempted to buy another house worth over $16 million. According to the Telegraph, police found laptops, cash, and even a "treasure map" to a safe-deposit box in London. The drawn map simply labeled two streets and noted a "Metropolitan Safe Deposit."

Another laptop was recovered from the deposit box in 2022, which reportedly stored billions of British pounds' worth of crypto.

Qian was not shy about her spending while on the run for six years across Europe, allegedly staying in luxury hotels and purchasing high-end properties.

By the time of her arrest in April 2024, she was reportedly worth over $7 billion in Bitcoin assets. She had previously purchased a property in North London worth millions, along with other properties in Dubai.

RELATED: Trump tech czar slams OpenAI scheme for federal 'backstop' on spending — forcing Sam Altman to backtrack

The two criminals allegedly defrauded more than 128,000 people in China between 2014 and 2017 before Qian fled the country.

Qian traveled with false documents and went to the United Kingdom, where she laundered her money through her property ventures, Metro reported, citing police.

Both appeared in Southwark Crown Court in London, where Qian was sentenced to 11 years and eight months in prison, while Ling received a sentence of four years and 11 months.

Qian and Ling allegedly had an accomplice named Jian Wen, who was previously jailed for six years and eight months after being arrested with Bitcoin wallets also worth billions.

The illegally obtained Bitcoin reportedly represents the largest ever cryptocurrency seizure of Bitcoin, and it all came from just three people.

RELATED: Bitcoin and the return of honest money

Ling pleaded guilty to entering a money laundering arrangement, while Qian admitted to money laundering and "knowing or suspecting [Ling's] actions would facilitate the acquisition or control of criminal property by another."

London Metropolitan Police said they had been working for years to investigate the crimes and said that in addition to being perhaps the largest cryptocurrency case in the world, it was also "one of the largest money laundering cases in U.K. history."

"Through a meticulous investigation and unprecedented cooperation with Chinese law enforcement, we were able to obtain compelling evidence of the criminal origins of the crypto assets the pair attempted to launder in the U.K.," said Will Lyne, head of Economic and Cybercrime Command for the London police.

He added, "My thoughts are with the thousands of victims defrauded in this scheme, and I hope this outcome acknowledges the harm these defendants inflicted and reinforces the Met's unwavering commitment to justice."

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Exclusive: DHS underground nightclub raid dismantles alleged drug operation tied to illegal aliens



A July raid at an underground night club in Los Angeles, California, led to multiple arrests and the dismantling of a drug and financial scheme, according to a Department of Homeland Security press release exclusively obtained by Blaze News.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection executed a search warrant on July 19 at an El Monte nightclub as part of a drug trafficking investigation.

'Unfortunately, sanctuary politicians in California give cover to criminals to run an underground club filled with drugs and illegal financial schemes.'

Federal agents interrogated and searched 66 individuals, confiscating narcotics and drug paraphernalia.

DHS reported that it also seized thousands of gift cards that had been re-encoded and are suspected to be part of an illegal financial scheme.

ICE arrested eight illegal aliens, including six from China, one from Malaysia, and one from Mexico.

Among those apprehended, Qingmei Wang was charged with felony possession of illegal drugs with intent to distribute.

RELATED: Democrat state senator remains committed to alerting illegal aliens of ICE raids in her state

Image source: Department of Homeland Security

Zedong Zhang faces charges of trafficking or manufacturing controlled substances.

Bo Liu faces charges of possession of an illegal drug substance.

Shao Meng was charged with obtaining money by false pretenses.

Isaias Ramirez-Rosas was charged with possession of a controlled substance, possession of paraphernalia, vandalism, and trespassing.

RELATED: Sanctuary cities on DOJ's list set to reap the whirlwind

Image source: Department of Homeland Security

All of those arrested are currently awaiting removal proceedings.

Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs at the DHS Tricia McLaughlin stated, “In July, ICE and CBP agents worked together with the FBI and DEA to dismantle criminal drug operations in Los Angeles, California, which resulted in the arrest of multiple illegal aliens.”

“Unfortunately, sanctuary politicians in California give cover to criminals to run an underground club filled with drugs and illegal financial schemes. Under President [Donald] Trump and Secretary [Kristi] Noem, DHS law enforcement is protecting Americans and keeping our communities safe,” McLaughlin said.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

FACT CHECK: Viral Facebook Image Purporting To Show Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 Is AI-Generated

A viral image shared on Facebook purports to show Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 a decade after its disappearance. Verdict: False The claim is false. A content detection scan using the website “Hive Moderation” reveals the image is 99% likely to have been generated with artificial intelligence (AI). A media forensics and AI expert denied the […]

Terrifying video shows jet plane crash into traffic on expressway in Malaysia



At least 10 people were killed when a private jet plane crashed into traffic on an expressway in Malaysia on Thursday.

On Thursday, a private jet plane took off from Langkawi International Airport on the island of Langkawi in the state of Kedah in Malaysia. The plane was traveling to Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang, Petaling District, Selangor, Malaysia, the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia said in a statement.

"First contact made by the aircraft with Subang Air Traffic Control Tower was at 2.47 p.m. [local time (2.47 a.m. ET)] and landing clearance was given at 2:48 p.m.," according to the statement. At 2:51 p.m., the "control tower observed smoke originating from the crash site but no mayday call was made by the aircraft."

The private plane crashed onto an expressway north of Malaysia's capital of Kuala Lumpur.

The Beechcraft model 390 twin-engine plane was carrying six passengers and two flight crew when it crashed.

The flight was operated by private jet services company Jet Valet, Reuters reported.

Selangor Police Head Hussein Omar Khan said the plane collided with a car and a motorcycle, each carrying one person.

"Forensic personnel are in the process of collecting the remains and will bring them to the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital in Klang for a post-mortem examination and identification process,” Khan said, according to CNN.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke said, "No one survived the crash. Victims (on the road) will also still need to be identified, will update in due time. Forensic confirmation needs to be taken."

There are multiple videos of the plane crash.

Video recorded on the dashcam of a car that passed on the other side of the expressway shows the moment that the plane crashed followed by huge flames bursting across the highway.

A surveillance camera shows the plane plummeting onto the highway and causing a large fireball. The sound wave caused the camera to shake despite being at a far distance from the crash.

The Ministry of Transport is investigating the crash.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Horrifying moment private jet explodes in fireball when it crashes on road in Malaysia www.youtube.com

What happened to Flight MH370, according to an aviation journalist



Aviation journalist Jeff Wise joins Pat Gray to discuss theories surrounding Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing that mysteriously disappeared on March 8, 2014.

According to reports, the flight, which took off around midnight, unexpectedly changed courses shortly after reaching cruising altitude, and although the Malaysian military radar tracked the plane for a time, it eventually lost contact when the Boeing 777 flew over the Andaman Sea.

The search that followed is the most expensive in aviation history.

To this day, all we are left with is speculation, as there has been no conclusions regarding what exactly happened to the aircraft or why the pilot made a sudden U-turn.

“With MH370, there is actually no official explanation,” but there is a “default assumption ... that the pilot, a guy named Zaharie Ahmad Shah, for reasons that aren’t entirely clear ... just decided to commit this very elaborate and prolonged murder-suicide,” Jeff tells Pat.

Malaysian authorities have been less accepting of this narrative, however, claiming that Shah “had no motive ... didn’t leave any notes,” and “wasn’t any kind of extremist.”

What we do know for certain is that at some point early in the flight, the pilot made a U-turn at a time when the plane was no longer detectable by Malaysian air traffic control.

Although “the data is a little but fuzzy, it seems like it probably accelerated and maybe even climbed” immediately following its change of course, Jeff explains.

That means that “it’s not behaving like a plane that’s on fire [or] having some kind of problem” because if it was, we would have seen it “descending to try to land at the nearest possible airport,” he continues.

Which means that the rerouting of the flight was most likely intentional and premeditated, which fits with the pilot-suicide theory.

However, if the flight was already routed over the ocean on its original path to China, why not “just go ahead and do it there?” Keith asks.

Jeff admits that “there’s problems with [the pilot-suicide theory].” He then reveals something he thinks is “the core of the mystery” but has been essentially dismissed by most investigators.

To hear his theory, watch the full clip below.


Want more from Pat Gray?

To enjoy more of Pat's biting analysis and signature wit as he restores common sense to a senseless world, subscribe to BlazeTV — the largest multi-platform network of voices who love America, defend the Constitution, and live the American dream.

Goldman Sachs fined nearly $3B in Malaysian corruption case

Wall Street heavyweight Goldman Sachs has been fined $2.9 billion by the Securities and Exchange Commission for violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the oversight agency announced Thursday.