Here's how the power vacuum will be filled following Lindsey Graham's death



Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) won the Republican nomination for a fifth term in the U.S. Senate, securing 56.8% of the vote in the June 9 Republican primary election. The 71-year-old lawmaker died, however, on July 11 — allegedly as the result of an aortic dissection caused by arteriosclerotic cardiovascular disease.

Action must now be taken to ensure that Republicans have a champion to oppose Democrat Senate candidate Annie Andrews in the Nov. 3 general election.

'There will be time to decide.'

State law holds that in the case of a vacancy in the office of a U.S. senator from death, Gov. Henry McMaster (R) — who said in a statement that Graham "is irreplaceable" — can appoint a replacement to serve until Jan. 3 following the next succeeding general election, meaning the GOP can maintain its slight voting edge in the Senate.

Since Graham was facing re-election, there will be a special primary election to replace him on the ballot.

According to state law, the one-week filing period for this special primary election opens the second Tuesday after the death — July 21 — and the special primary election must be conducted on the second Tuesday immediately following the close of the filing period, which would land on Aug. 11.

RELATED: Lindsey Graham dead at 71

Gov. Henry McMaster (R). Kayla Bartkowski/Getty Images

"A runoff, if necessary, must be held two weeks after the first [special] primary," says state law. "The nomination must be certified not less than two weeks before the date of the general election. If the nomination is certified two weeks or more before the date of the general election, that office is to be filled at the general election."

President Donald Trump told NBC News' "Meet the Press" on Sunday that he had somebody in mind to replace Graham but declined to volunteer the name.

"I have somebody that I think would be great, but I don't want to say it now because it's just, you know, it's too soon with Lindsey," said Trump. "I don't want to even talk about anybody, but I do have somebody that I think is really good."

Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) told "Meet the Press" that "there are at least one or two Congress members that I would expect Henry McMaster, our governor, to consider," but that regardless of who is named as the temporary appointment, "an open primary process would be in the best interest of South Carolinians."

In terms of contenders in such a race, Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) has made it clear that he is not game.

Wilson noted on Sunday morning that while he had spoken to Trump about Graham, he had assured the president that his "goal is to remain in the House to keep his two-vote majority for the American people."

Failed South Carolina gubernatorial candidate Nancy Mace, on the other hand, appears open to throwing her hat in the ring, telling CNN that "there will be time to decide" whether she'll consider running for the now-vacant seat.

A source familiar with the matter told CNN that Rep. Ralph Norman — a congressman once widely regarded as a possible challenger to Graham — is also "open to considering a run"; however, Norman has expressed uncertainty.

Lt. Gov. Pamela Evette is another name that has been floated in media reports as a contender. A source in her camp told NBC News that Evette received "dozens of phone calls and texts" encouraging her to jump into the race. Evette ran for governor but lost in the GOP primary runoff last month.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Nancy Mace crashes and burns in South Carolina governor primary



Another congressional Republican who seems to have fallen out of favor with President Trump has suffered humiliating defeat in a primary.

Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) now joins the likes of Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) and Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) in losing a primary battle in resounding fashion after failing to earn an endorsement from Trump. On Tuesday night, Mace finished a distant fifth place in the South Carolina Republican gubernatorial primary.

'This isn't the end of the fight. It's just the end of this chapter.'

Before 9 p.m. ET, she had conceded defeat, posting a lengthy concession message on X. "Serving South Carolina has been the greatest honor of my life. Every vote I cast, every hearing I called, every fight I picked — it was always for you," she began.

"Apparently, I chose wrong if the goal was winning an election. I'm at peace with that. Because when a candidate is OK with corruption and cover-ups — something is broken. That's not a political opinion. That's a moral emergency," she continued.

"This isn't the end of the fight. It's just the end of this chapter," she assured her supporters.

Before 7:30 the next morning, Mace appeared to be in light spirits once again, joking on X: "Enjoying my first cup of coffee since getting my ass kicked last night."

RELATED: Democrat voters in Georgia want nothing to do with Trump-hating ex-Republican

Trump and Mace shaking hands. WIN MCNAMEE/POOL/AFP/Getty Images.

Always outspoken, Mace likely lost all hope of a Trump endorsement this year after she pushed for ever more Epstein disclosures, even as she thanked Trump for supporting the "survivors."

Mace's alliance with Trump has been precarious for years. In the 2022 Republican primary for Mace's congressional seat, Trump endorsed a challenger and shifted his support to Mace only after she prevailed. Trump then endorsed Mace's re-election bid in 2024.

Now that she is leaving Congress, Mace says she plans to return "to the private sector ... as the Founders intended," signaling that she may have closed the door on her political aspirations for good.

Trump, meanwhile, can claim victory in her disastrous gubernatorial bid. The candidate he endorsed, Lieutenant Governor Pamela Evette, led the pack, collecting 28.9% of the vote.

Second-place finisher Attorney General Alan Wilson received 26.2%. Evette and Wilson now head for a runoff election scheduled for June 23.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly: Inside Swamp’s New Farm Bill

House lawmakers advanced a new farm bill that would reallocate billions of dollars without cutting overall spending.

REPORT: Two GOP Lawmakers Go Head-To-Head In Push To Expel One Another

Rep. Nancy Mace previously sought to censure her colleague in 2025

Are scandal-plagued Cory Mills' days in Congress finally numbered?



The swift resignations of Reps. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) and Tony Gonzales (R-Texas) to avoid expulsion votes regarding sexual misconduct allegations may trigger a chain reaction on Capitol Hill to remove other lawmakers accused of wrongdoing.

Gonzales stated that he planned to file his retirement from office on Tuesday after admitting to an affair with a former staffer who later committed suicide.

'Congress has serious moral and ethical problems and these four are the face of it.'

On Sunday, Swalwell decided he would suspend his bid for California governor after a former staffer claimed he had previously sexually assaulted her. Swalwell has denied the allegations.

The House Ethics Committee announced Monday that it would open an investigation into the allegations against Swalwell. That same day, Swalwell stated he would resign from Congress, citing his colleagues' intent to expel him.

"I am aware of efforts to bring an immediate expulsion vote against me and other members," Swalwell said. "Expelling anyone in Congress without due process, within days of an allegation being made, is wrong. But it's also wrong for my constituents to have me distracted from my duties. Therefore, I plan to resign my seat in Congress."

The recent resignations of Swalwell and Gonzales have renewed bipartisan calls for other scandal-plagued lawmakers to step down. Among those urging immediate action are Reps. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) and Nydia Velázquez (D-N.Y.), who have publicly called on Reps. Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick (D-Fla.) and Cory Mills (R-Fla.) to resign.

RELATED: 'You're a piece of s**t': Nancy Mace and Cory Mills clash in heated exchange after failed censure

Cory Mills. Drew Angerer/Getty Images. Sheila Cherfilus-McCormick. Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

The House Ethics Committee effectively found Cherfilus-McCormick guilty in March of 25 counts of financial misconduct and campaign-finance violations related to the misuse of federal relief funds. She was accused of stealing $5 million in Federal Emergency Management Agency funds.

The committee opened an investigation into Mills in November regarding several allegations, including claims that the congressman failed to disclose necessary information to the House, violated campaign finance laws, improperly accepted gifts and special favors, engaged in sexual misconduct, and misused congressional resources.

Blaze News was the first to report the bombshell sextortion accusations against Mills from former Miss United States Lindsey Langston.

Mills has also been accused of stolen valor, with multiple veterans and former colleagues previously telling Blaze News that he fabricated or exaggerated key elements of his military record.

On Monday, Mace declared that it is "time to clean house."

"We don't care what party you're in. Stealing millions in taxpayer dollars, sexually assaulting your staff, lying about your service record, none of it is acceptable and none of it goes unnoticed," Mace stated. "Congress has serious moral and ethical problems and these four are the face of it. Washington has protected its own for too long. It needs to end now. We're calling on these four to resign or face expulsion."

Velázquez made similar comments on Monday, writing in a post on X, "Congress should not tolerate representatives who abuse staff, betray public trust for personal gain, and generally violate their oath of office."

"Reps. Swalwell, Gonzales, Cherfilus-McCormick, and Mills should resign. If they refuse, they should be expelled," Velázquez stated.

RELATED: 'Mutually assured destruction': Another disgraced lawmaker to resign from Congress over sex scandal

Nancy Mace. Heather Diehl/Getty Images. Nydia Velazquez. Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Mace, who has been leading the charge to remove Mills, forced a censure vote against Mills in November over "alleged stolen valor, arms deals he's under investigation for and alleged abuses toward women." It failed in a 310-103 vote, with 204 Republicans and 106 Democrats supporting Mills.

Mace claimed that a censure against Rep. Stacey Plaskett (D-Virgin Islands), who was accused of colluding with Jeffrey Epstein during a 2019 congressional hearing, had previously failed because Mills arranged a "backroom deal" to suppress his own censure.

Mills was accused of similar allegations in September when he voted to protect Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) from censure. Mills was the deciding vote.

"Another backroom deal so Cory Mills can't get censored [sic] for Stolen Valor," Mace stated in a November post on X. "I have the General who 'recommended' him for the Bronze Star on record saying he never wrote it, never read it and never personally signed it. This. Is. Washington."

House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) stated Tuesday that he is “looking into” the House Ethics investigation into Mills.

Mills' office did not respond to a request for comment.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

House GOP subpoenas Pam Bondi over Epstein files



House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer (R-Ky.) issued a subpoena to Attorney General Pam Bondi Tuesday over her handling of the Epstein files.

The committee voted to approve the subpoena requiring Bondi to appear for a deposition over the Department of Justice's handling of the investigation and in compliance with the Epstein Files Transparency Act.

In the subpoena, Comer said Bondi's deposition could "inform legislative solutions" to improve the government's response to sex trafficking and to "reform the use of non-prosecution agreements and/or plea agreements" related to sex crimes.

'This subpoena is completely unnecessary.'

Although the subpoena refrained from harshly criticizing Bondi, it was ultimately greenlit on March 4 by committee Republicans who have expressed concerns about Bondi's leadership.

Every committee Democrat voted in favor of the subpoena, as well as Republican Reps. Nancy Mace of South Carolina, Lauren Boebert of Colorado, Tim Burchett of Tennessee, Michael Cloud of Texas, and Scott Perry of Pennsylvania.

RELATED: Joe Kent resigns from Trump admin, says Israel forced US into Iran conflict

Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

The DOJ called the subpoena "completely unnecessary," arguing that Bondi has "made herself available" to lawmakers with respect to the Epstein Files Transparency Act.

“This subpoena is completely unnecessary," a DOJ spokesperson said in a statement. "Lawmakers have been invited to view the unredacted files for themselves at the Department of Justice, and the Attorney General has always made herself available to speak directly with members of Congress."

RELATED: Watch: Bill Clinton defends Trump in Epstein deposition video

Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images

"She continues to have calls and meetings with members of Congress on the Epstein Files Transparency Act, which is why the Department offered to brief the committee tomorrow," the spokesperson added. "As always, we look forward to continuing to provide policymakers with the facts.”

Bondi is now called on to appear before the committee on April 14.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!