Sen. Ernst Introduces Bill To End Blue States’ Fast-Food SNAP Abuse

Sen. Ernst introduced a bill that seeks to cut off a SNAP loophole that's allowed users to spend benefits at fast-food restaurant chains.

Trump admin drops hammer on SNAP scammers after finding 186K dead people collecting benefits



The Trump administration has plans to root out fraud in the country's food stamp program.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program provides benefits to approximately 42 million Americans, costing about $100 billion in the fiscal year 2024.

'Secretary Rollins wants to ensure the fraud, waste, and incessant abuse of SNAP ends.'

Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins announced Thursday that the administration will require Americans receiving food stamps through SNAP to reapply.

Rollins told Newsmax that this effort would "make sure that everyone that's taking a taxpayer-funded benefit … that they literally are vulnerable and they can't survive without it."

Rollins explained that she sent letters to every state, requesting data on SNAP benefits. She noted that 29 states, primarily those led by Republicans, responded to the request.

She stated that "186,000 deceased men and women and children in this country are receiving a check."

RELATED: Supreme Court rules in favor of Trump administration to extend pause in SNAP funding

Photo by Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images

"That is what we're really going to start clamping down on. Half a million are getting two [payments]," Rollins said, noting that this included data from only 29 states.

"Can you imagine when we get our hands on the blue-state data what we're gonna find?" she added.

"It's going to give us a platform and a trajectory to fundamentally rebuild this program," Rollins continued.

The secretary described one instance in which an individual used the same Social Security number to obtain EBT cards in six states.

RELATED: 'Absurd': JD Vance blasts activist Obama judge's apparent overreach on SNAP handouts amid Democrat shutdown

Photo by Kayla Bartkowski/Getty Images

She noted that President Donald Trump has made cracking down on SNAP fraud a priority, adding that 120 arrests have already been made.

It is not yet clear when beneficiaries will be required to reapply for the benefits.

"Secretary Rollins wants to ensure the fraud, waste, and incessant abuse of SNAP ends," a USDA spokesperson told The Hill. "Rates of fraud were only previously assumed, and President Trump is doing something about it. Using standard recertification processes for households is a part of that work. As well as ongoing analysis of State data, further regulatory work, and improved collaboration with States."

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

Senate Democrats insist the shutdown was 'definitely' worth it despite fully surrendering to Republicans



Democratic senators finally capitulated to Republicans after the drawn-out, record-breaking government shutdown. Although Democrats didn't actually accomplish anything, they maintain the shutdown was worth it.

Democrats originally shut down the government to force Republicans' hand on extending health care subsidies from the Affordable Care Act that are set to expire at the end of the year. Over 40 days later, eight Democrats caved and voted with Republicans to reopen the government without securing a deal on health care.

'We got people to pay attention.'

Republicans' only concession to Democrats was to reverse reduction-in-force notices issued during the shutdown and a commitment to refrain from implementing any more through January 30, when the continuing resolution expires.

After eight Democrats flipped and voted with Republicans to pass the continuing resolution, many of their colleagues expressed outrage and disappointment. Even still, some Senate Democrats maintain that the record-breaking shutdown was worth it.

RELATED: 'Pathetic' Senate Democrats cave, advancing key shutdown vote and prompting intraparty uproar: 'It’s a surrender'

Photo by Kayla Bartkowski/Getty Images

Democratic Sen. John Hickenlooper of Colorado told CNN that demonstrating the overwhelming reliance millions of Americans have on the federal government made the shutdown worth it.

"Yeah, I think so," Hickenlooper said. "I hate it, but yeah, it was worth it. Definitely."

"We got people to pay attention to the fact that this is a traumatic, in many cases, life-or-death situation all over this country."

RELATED: Senate Republicans pass key deal with Democrat defectors as end to record-long shutdown draws near

Photo by Tom Williams-Pool/Getty Images

Democratic Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island echoed Hickenlooper, saying the shutdown was worthwhile.

"I think it was," Reed said after a long pause. "Because I think the perception, we made it clear that it's not just a health care issue, but the whole issue. I think it was remarkable when the president tried to use SNAP as the punishment to force us to capitulate."

Notably, Reed's claim that President Donald Trump weaponized food assistance programs like SNAP to bully Democrats is inaccurate. Congress is the only political body responsible for appropriating SNAP, and Democrats intentionally shut down and refused to reopen the government for over 40 days.

Additionally, neither Hickenlooper nor Reed were among the eight Democrats who voted to reopen the government.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

These Senate Dems Were the Shutdown's Loudest Critics. Now They're Condemning the Deal To Reopen the Government.

Some of the Senate’s loudest Democratic critics of the government shutdown have quickly become the loudest critics of the deal to end it.

The post These Senate Dems Were the Shutdown's Loudest Critics. Now They're Condemning the Deal To Reopen the Government. appeared first on .

Trump Administration Orders States To ‘Immediately Undo’ Work Sending Out Full Food Stamp Benefits

'States must immediately undo any steps taken to issue full SNAP benefits'

'Absurd': JD Vance blasts activist Obama judge's apparent overreach on SNAP handouts amid Democrat shutdown



Vice President JD Vance blasted the apparent overreach by a meddlesome Obama-appointed judge who ordered the Trump administration on Thursday to make full Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program payments for November despite Democrats' government shutdown.

A pair of Obama-appointed U.S. district court judges — Indira Talwani in Boston and John McConnell in Providence — ruled last week that SNAP benefits could not be cut off amid the Democrats' government shutdown.

McConnell ordered the U.S. Department of Agriculture on Friday to resume the handouts either in full or in part "as soon as possible." Days later, the Trump administration announced that it would comply by exhausting $4.65 billion in contingency funds to make a partial payment that would cover roughly half of each eligible household's SNAP benefits for the month of November.

'This Court is not naïve to the administration’s true motivations.'

USDA Secretary Brooke Rollins, echoing President Donald Trump, emphasized on Monday that the administration doesn't want vulnerable Americans to suffer and is working to "get partial allotments to SNAP households" but that "it will take several weeks to execute partial payments." Rollins added that once obstructionist Democrats reopen the government, "FULL benefits can get to families without delay."

Democracy Forward, the anti-Trump outfit that is representing plaintiffs in the case overseen by McConnell, filed an emergency request on Tuesday asking the Obama judge to force the administration to fund SNAP benefits in full.

"Because it is now clear that due to Defendants' course of conduct, and by their own admission, undertaking a partial payment plan at this point cannot meet the Court's directives or adequately remedy the harm Plaintiffs are suffering, the Court should grant Plaintiffs' motion to enforce and should temporarily enjoin and compel Defendants to release the withheld funding, in its entirety, for November SNAP benefits," Democracy Forward said in its motion.

RELATED: Democrats' shutdown is about to make catching a flight a lot harder

Photo by FADEL SENNA/AFP via Getty Images

McConnell proved more than willing to oblige the liberal outfit, ordering the USDA to make full SNAP payments to the states by Friday by utilizing available Section 32 funds in combination with its contingency funds.

The USDA previously indicated that it would not tap Section 32 funds — supplied by tariff revenues — because they are intended for Child Nutrition Programs, which feed at least 29 million American children and are distinct from SNAP benefits.

'We're not going to do it under the orders of a federal judge.'

"Section 32 Child Nutrition Program funds are not a contingency fund for SNAP," the USDA noted in a court filing. "Using billions of dollars from Child Nutrition for SNAP would leave an unprecedented gap in Child Nutrition funding that Congress has never had to fill with annual appropriations, and USDA cannot predict what Congress will do under these circumstances."

McConnell cited some of Trump's recent social media posts — including his Tuesday suggestion that SNAP benefits will only be doled out "when the Radical Left Democrats open up government, which they can easily do, and not before" — as evidence of the government's "intent to defy" his Friday order as well as the supposed insincerity of the USDA's arguments against using Section 32 funds to make full payments.

"This Court is not naïve to the administration’s true motivations," wrote McConnell. "Far from being concerned with Child Nutrition funding, these statements make clear that the administration is withholding full SNAP benefits for political purposes. Such 'unjustifiable partisanship' has infected the USDA’s decision-making, rendering it arbitrary and capricious."

The Obama judge has previously faced criticism for what WJAR described as his "ties and massive contributions to Democratic politics."

Vance noted during a roundtable with Asian leaders at the White House on Thursday that "it's an absurd ruling because you have a federal judge effectively telling us what we have to do in the midst of a Democrat government shutdown."

"What we'd like to do is for the Democrats to open up the government," continued the vice president. "Of course then we can fund SNAP, and we can also do a lot of other good things for the American people. But in the midst of a shutdown, we can't have a federal court telling the president how he has to triage the situation."

Vance added, "We're trying to keep as much going as possible. The president and the entire administration are working on that, but we're not going to do it under the orders of a federal judge. We're going to do it according to what we think we have to do to comply with the law, of course, but also to actually make the government work for people in the midst of the Democratic government shutdown."

— (@)

The Trump administration has appealed the Obama judge's ruling to the First Circuit Court of Appeals.

Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

The Republican Party Deserves Their Bad Election Night

Zombie political culture is still eating brains.